Monday, April 23, 2012

Melrose Place


As you may recall, I've been on the hunt for a coral pencil skirt and, as you can see, I've found it!


Man, it took some doing, though. J.Crew has one, of course, but at 22" the length was not going to work. It's 24" or bust for me - and I prefer 25" or more if I can find it. Fortunately, with the midi trend all a-blaze, it's become much easier to find those longer lengths, especially where the more colorful choices are concerned. (I think I need to get my hands on this bright yellow skirt from eloquii next!) I will say that this is my 4th attempt at a good coral pencil skirt, however. First was a peach one from ASOS (too small), then Talbots (too big, and non-returnable - boo hiss), then Macy's/Charter Club (in this style, but too small in their straight sizes), and finally - once I realized they offered it - this one it its plus sizing. Fourth time's a charm? It's a little darker than I would have liked, but the fit is great and the length is ideal, so no complaints from me!

Melrose Mesh Top - c/o Kiyonna / Pencil Skirt - Charter Club (Macy's) /
Heels - Nine West (via 6pm.com)

This outfit is therefore over a month in the making. Kiyonna sent me this polka-dotted delight a few weeks ago, and I had immediately envisioned it with a coral pencil skirt. (Actually, I envisioned it with my coral ankle pants, but I haven't been brave enough to work that look just yet.) Now that I finally have the skirt, I can envision it with lots of things, but I couldn't wait to finally wear this top!


Kiyonna has called it the Melrose Mesh Top, but I think they should rename it the Joan Holloway Top. If this isn't her silhouette, I don't know what is. I mean, everything - right down to the foldover neckline, pussybow tie, elbow-length sleeves... How the top showcases the girls but doesn't reveal them... Sure, I tend to dress in Joan's silhouette more often than not (and one of the ladies at work has nicknamed me "Joan" on account of it), but I felt like this top walked right out of a Mad Men episode.

Ring - Banana Republic / Necklace - The Limited / Earrings - Banana Republic /
Nailpolish - Haute as Hello (Essie)

Of course, if you are at all a fan of Kiyonna, you might also recognize that this top clearly takes its inspiration from the brand's famed Betsey Ruched Dress. As one of my own favorite dresses, I was thrilled that they made a version I could get more mileage out of. Jeans, skirts, ankle pants (just screaming 60s vamp to me) - bring it. It is extremely figure-flattering thanks to all that ruching, but it does run a full size small. I find that very odd since my usual 1x in the Betsey fit perfectly, but there's something about the material in this one that - whoa - makes it TINY. Sizing up was all I needed to do, so be advised! And now I badly want the top in royal blue too...

Handbag - DKNY (via TJMaxx)


6 comments:

  1. The Lapsed VictorianApril 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

    The Melrose looks super cute on you!  I have the very same one, and you are right: it runs TEENSY.  I bought the burgundy Paige pencil skirt to go with it, but the coral you've got here looks divine.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Melrose top with that coral skirt. Very cute and great for sprig and summer. BTW eloquii has a green and a teal pencil skirt on sale today... couldn't remember if  you were looking for one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at  "Joan Holloway". Perfect outfit if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was worth not giving up on that skirt, it's stunning. And I want that top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Total winner!  I've had my eye on that top for a while, but you've sold me on it.  Seriously, one of my favorite outfits on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love. Love. Love that top.  I think I have to have it. 

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Reading what you have to say truly makes my day!