Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mixed Company


Remember that thing I said yesterday about my obsession with coral? It continues...

Zebra print top - Dorothy Perkins / White tank - Anthropologie / Striped pencil skirt - Dorothy Perkins
Belt - Talbots / Handbag - DKNY (via TJMaxx) / Sandals - Nine West (via Endless.com)

I was thumbing through my closet the other day, trying to put together outfits for the week, when I realized that my zebra print top would be a perfect candidate for a little mixed print action with my striped pencil skirt. The shared colors of black and white struck a great balance. The proportions of the prints - medium sized zebras (if that's not a funny sight...) versus thin stripes - were close to ideal. This was happening. Besides, I wanted to wear this skirt again anyway. And coral, duh.


Would I wear the blousy top tucked or untucked, though? When tucked, I liked the waistline the outfit gave me, but, alas, the legend of horizontal stripes worked against me at my hips. I truly did need something to break those lines up. I thought I'd hate the top untucked (and belted, of course), but it really came together better than I imagined - even if I did solicit a sideways glance of Midwestern sartorial alarm or two. Or maybe cuz they thought my zebras were adorable?

Ring - The Limited / Earrings - The Limited


2 comments:

  1. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The patterns look great together. I would never have thought to put the two together - but they totally work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Reading what you have to say truly makes my day!